The Visual Culture Theory Trajectory: Benjamin, Debord, Barthes,
- Walter Benjamin, The
Work of Art in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction. [Another
- Focus on sections Pref., I-VI, XII
- Guy Debord, The
Society of the Spectacle (1967) [Another copy.]
- Focus on sections 1-6, 10-11, 17-18, 24-30
- Jean Baudrillard, "Simulacra
and Simulations." From Simulations, 1981; English
Useful Theory Readings and Contemporary Visual Culture
Using ideas from the theory above, chose a recent movie, television
genre, artist or group of art works to consider.
How can we extend the ideas of "spectacle," "simulacra,"
and "hyperreality" to recent visual culture in movies,
video, and television?
- Are TV reality shows an example of these cultural forces?
- What about the "post-photographic" aspects of movies
that present a cinema or photographic "look" but are
hybrids of digital and film or have been created entirely without
a camera? (recent example: The
Polar Express, a movie with actors and no camera: view
- Representations of pop stars and celebrities?
Possible Films to Discuss
Film and Cinema in the Era of Simulation and Post-Photography