Listed in the American Studies Association Curriculum Guide
Any of the following syllabi may be requested by surface mail from the American Studies Association.
Reference the title of course and instructor.
1. Survey of American Literature (1989) Harvey Damaser.
Wittenberg U. 3p.
2. The American Short Story (n.d.) J.A. Faber. Wittenberg U.
3. American Cultural Backgrounds: Puritan & Federal Periods
(1986) Koppenhaver. Wittenberg U. 4p.
4. American Drama (1990) Harvey Damaser. Wittenberg U. 3p.
5. Studies in the American Novel (n.d.) Veler. Wittenberg U.
2p. Emphasis on 20th century novels.
6. Frontier Literature (1991) M.E. Jones. Wittenberg U. 2p.
7. 20th-Century Jewish Literature (1990) Seth Wolitz. U. of
Texas. 1p. Works of European and American Jewish
8. Journalist as Novelist (1990) Shelley Fisher Fishkin. U. of
9. Journalist as Novelist (1991) Shelley Fisher Fishkin. U. of
10. American Writing: 20th-Century Writers of the American South
(1989) Gerald Hauck. U. of Texas. 1p.
11. American Writing: 20th-Century Writers of the American South
(1990) Gerald Hauck. U. of Texas. 1p.
12. American Civilization Colloquium: The New York Theme in
American Writing (1986) Berthoff. Harvard U. 4p.
Reading suggestions only.
13. Creativity & Culture I: Science Fiction - Creating the
Future (1990) George J. Stein, Nancy Nicholson, Andrew
Garrison Miami U. School of Interdisciplinary Studies.
5p. Introduction to the interpretation of science
fiction literature and its philosophical themes,
including cyberpunk, ecology, gender, and social
14. Race, Gender and the Canon (1990) Paul Lauter. Trinity Coll.
15. Introduction to American Literature (1991) Paul Lauter.
Trinity Coll. 4p.
16. Introduction to American Literature, II (1990) Paul Lauter.
Trinity Coll. 6p.
17. Comparative Studies in Modern American Literature (1991)
Paul Lauter. Trinity Coll. 3p.
18. Afro-American Literary Traditions (1990) James Miller.
Trinity Coll. 2p.
19. Afro-American Literature and the City (1991) James Miller.
Trinity Coll. 3p.
20. Science Fiction in American Culture (1987) Myron Lounsbury.
U. of Maryland. 2p. Intellectual and social history of
science fiction from the 1920s to the present.
21. American Experience (1988) Fryer. U. of Massachusetts. 2p.
22. Pivotal Books (1990) John Patterson. Penn State U.,
23. American Essays (1991) Michael Barton. Penn State U.,
24. America's Coming-of-Age (1989) Theodora Rapp Graham. Penn
State U. Harrisburg. 3p. American literature of the
first half of the 20th century.
25. African American Women Writers (1989) Barbara Bowen. Queens
26. Sexuality, Literature, and Contemporary Criticism (n.d.)
Edelman. Tufts U. 3p. Critical implications of
feminist, gay, psychoanalytic and deconstructionist
approaches to literature.
27. Ethnic Literature and the American Society (1991) Ruth Yu
Hsiao. Tufts U. 2p.
28. Asian-American Literature (1991) Ruth Yu Hsiao. Tufts U. 4p.
29. 20th Century American Women Writers (1990) Ammons. Tufts U.
30. Literature and Culture of the Sea (1987) Zapatka. American
31. American Realism (1987) Christopher Wilson. Boston Coll. 3p.
Development of Realism in literature, journalism,
photography, and painting in America from 1880-1910.
32. American Life and Literature: The Outsider (1990) Benedict
Giamo. U. of Notre Dame. 7p. The role of the outsider
in literature and film as a catalyst for social
critique and as the embodiment of social transgression.
33. Fiction and Belief (1991) Ronald Weber. U. of Notre Dame.
2p. A study of Catholic writers.
34. The American Spy Novel (n.d.) Bruce Rosenberg. Brown U. 1p.
35. American Culture (n.d.) J. McIntosh. U. of Michigan. 2p. A
study of Latin American and North American writers.
36. Literature and Culture of the 1850s (n.d.) Catharine
O'Connell. U. of Michigan. 3p.
37. Ecology and Literature (1991) David M. Robinson. Oregon
State U. 2p.
38. American Sexuality (1989) Michael Aaron Rockland. Rutgers U.
39. The American Jewish Experience in Literature (1987) Michael
Aaron Rockland. Rutgers U. 4p. Emphasis on novelists.
40. The American Jewish Experience in Literature (1990) Leslie
Fishbein. Rutgers U. 3p.
41. Detective Fiction and Films (n.d.) Martin Novelli. Rutgers
42. Detective Fiction and Film (n.d.) Martin Novelli. Rutgers U.
43. The American Best Seller (1991) Michael Aaron Rockland.
Rutgers U. 3p.
44. Some Thoughts About Bestsellers (1989) Duus. Rutgers U. 2p.
45. The Contemporary American (1990) Angus K. Gillespie. Rutgers
U. 7p. A study of American literature that sheds light
on the urban experience.
46. Politics and Art: Brecht, Revolution, and Theatre (1991)
Sally Harrison-Pepper. Miami U. School of
Interdisciplinary Studies (Ohio). 6p.
47. The Contemporary American (1987) Tom De Haven. Rutgers U.
7p. Examines role of science fiction in post-war
48. Themes in American Culture (1990) Laura C. Jarmon. Middle
Tennessee State U. 9p.
49. Success in American Culture (1990) David Robinson. Oregon
State U. 2p.
50. The Divided Self (n.d.) Richard Meckel. Brown U. 3p.
51. On the Road in America (1987) Michael A. Rockland. Rutgers
52. [American Lit] (1990) McElrath. Florida State U. 3p.
53. The American Dream in 20th-Century Literature and Film
(1990) Patrick Anderson. Colby-Sawyer Coll. 4p.
54. History and the Novel (n.d.) U. of South Florida. 4p. The
course studies the reciprocal relationships between
selected American novelists and the history around
them, specifically examining the ways creative writers
employ history in their works.
55. [American Lit] Student Guide (1991) Young. Arkansas Tech U.
21p. American history survey with emphasis on
56. Literature in Society: American Writers in Paris (1990)
Richard Fine. Virginia Commonwealth U. 7p. The "Lost
Generation" of the 1920s.
57. Literature in Society: The Hollywood Novel (1991) Richard
Fine. Virginia Commonwealth U. 4p.
58. American Writers in Paris (1990) Richard Fine. Virginia
Commonwealth U. 10p. The "Lost Generation" of the
59. Social Literature in the United States (1989) Yannella.
Temple U. 2p. A study of eleven books which had a
significant impact on 20th-century American society.
60. Irish-American Literature and Culture (1991) Shaun
O'Connell. U. of Mass, Boston. 2p. From post-famine
immigration through the Kennedy and Reagan
61. Fitzgerald and Hemingway (1991) R.A. Martin. Michigan State
62. [American Lit] (1990) R.A. Martin. Michigan State U. 1p.
20th century novels.
63. American Literature: Later Romanticism (1990) Sheila Teahan.
Michigan State U. 3p.
This page was prepared by Audrey Mickahail at the Center for Electronic Projects in American Culture Studies (CEPACS), Georgetown University.
Randy Bass, Director