- "Valuing Public Goods Using Happiness Data: The Case of Air Quality" Journal of Public Economics, 96(9-10), October 2012.
- "Pollution and International Trade in Services" International Environmental Agreements: Politics, Law and Economics 10(2), June 2010. (NBER wp14936)
- "Offshoring pollution: Is the U.S. increasingly importing polluting goods?" Review of Environmental Economics and Policy 4(1) Winter 2010, pp. 63-83.
- "Technology, International Trade, and Pollution from U.S. Manufacturing" American Economic Review 99(5) December 2009, pp. 2177-92.
- "Unmasking the Pollution Haven Effect" with Scott Taylor, International Economic Review 49(1) February 2008.
- "Budget Rules and State Business Cycles: A Comment" Public Finance Review 35(7), July 2007 pp. 545-549.
- "Employee cost-sharing and the welfare effects of Flexible Spending Accounts" with William Jack and Sjamsu Rahardja, Journal of Public Economics 90(12), December 2006 pp. 2285-2301.
- "Labor Supply Effects of the Earned Income Tax Credit: Evidence from Wisconsin's Supplemental Benefit for Families with Three Children," with Maria Cancian, National Tax Journal, December 2006
- "Trade Liberalization and Pollution Havens" with Josh Ederington and Jenny Minier, Advances in Economic Analysis and Policy, 4(2) 2004 (Berkeley Electronic Press).
- Reprinted in The Economics of Pollution Havens, Don Fullerton ed. Edward Elgar Press 2006.
- "Footloose and Pollution-Free" with Josh Ederington and Jenny Minier, Review of Economics and Statistics, 87(1) 2005.
- "Willingness to Pay for Environmental Quality: Testable Empirical Implications of the Growth and Environment Literature" with Debra Israel, Contributions to Economic Analysis and Policy, 3(1) 2004 (Berkeley Electronic Press).
- Reprinted in Is the Environment a Luxury? Silvia Tiezzi and Chiara Martini, eds., Routledge 2014.
- "Energy Use by Apartment Tenants when Landlords Pay for Utilities" with Scott Niemann, Resource and Energy Economics, 26(1) 51-75 March 2004.
- "Examining the Evidence on Environmental Regulations and Industry Location" with Smita Brunnermeier, Journal of the Environment and Development, 13(1): 6-41 March 2004.
Reprinted in Environmental Planning, Jeroen C.J.M. van den Bergh, ed., Edward Elgar 2007.
- "Environmental Regulatory Competition: A Status Report and Some New Evidence" National Tax Journal, 56(1) March 2003.
- "Environmental Regulations and FDI Inflows to U.S. States" with Wolfgang Keller, Review of Economics and Statistics, 84(4) November 2002.
- "Reexamining the Empirical Evidence for an Environmental Kuznets Curve" with Bill Harbaugh and Dave Wilson, Review of Economics and Statistics, 84(3) August 2002.
"The Simple Analytics of the Environmental Kuznets Curve" with James Andreoni, Journal of Public Economics, 80(2) May 2001.
"The Missing Pollution Haven Effect: Examining Some Common Explanations" Environmental and Resource Economics, 15(4) April 2000.
"NIMBY Taxes Matter: The Case of State Hazardous Waste Disposal Taxes" Journal of Public Economics, 74(1) October 1999.
- Reprinted in Environmental Economics: Critical Concepts in the Environment, Chuck Mason and Erwin Bulte, eds., Routledge 2007.
"State Taxes and Interstate Hazardous Waste Shipments" American Economic Review , 89(3) June 1999.
- Reprinted in The Economics of Hazardous Waste and Contaminated Land, Hilary Sigman, ed., Edward Elgar, 2007.
"Grandfather Regulations, New Source Bias, and State Air Toxics Regulations" Ecological Economics, 28(2) February 1999.
"Rainy Day Funds and State Government Savings" with Brian Knight, National Tax Journal, 52(3) September 1999.
"Balanced Budgets and Business Cycles: Evidence From the States" National Tax Journal, 51(4) December 1998.
"Medicaid Managed Care and Infant Health" with Frank Ullman, Journal of Health Economics, 17(3), June 1998.
"Factoring the Environmental Kuznets Curve: Evidence From Automotive Lead Emissions" with F.G. Hank Hilton, Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, 35(2), March 1998.
- Reprinted in Environmental Taxation in Practice, Thomas Sterner and Adrian Muller, eds., Ashgate Press, November 2006.
"Why Oppose TDRs?: Transferable Development Rights Can Increase Overall Development" Regional Science and Urban Economics, 27(3), June 1997.
"A Note on Environmental Federalism: Interpreting Some Contradictory Results" Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, 33(3), 1997.
"Environmental Regulations and Manufacturers' Location Choices: Evidence from the Census of Manufactures" Journal of Public Economics, 61(1), 1996.
"Reexamining Teacher Preferences and Compensating Wages" Economics of Education Review, 7(3), 1988.
- Reprinted in Controlling Automobile Air Pollution, McConnell and Harrington, eds. Ashgate Publishing, May 2007.
Book chapters, book reviews, comments, and other publications
- "Belts and Suspenders: Interactions among Climate Policy Regulations" in The Design and Implementation of U.S. Climate Policy, Don Fullerton and Catherine Wolfram eds. University of Chicago Press, 2012.
Comment on “Interactions between State and Federal Climate Change Policies” by Lawrence H. Goulder and Robert N. Stavins in The Design and Implementation of U.S. Climate Policy, Don Fullerton and Catherine Wolfram eds. University of Chicago Press, 2012.
- Comments on Alm and Banzhaf “Designing Economic Instruments for the Environment in a Decentralized System” Journal of Economic Surveys (2010).
- Comment on “Climate Policy's Uncertain Outcomes for Households: The Role of Complex Allocation Schemes in Cap-and-Trade” The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy. 10(2), November 2010.
"Comment on 'Trade Growth, Production Fragmentation, and China's Environment'" by J. Dean and M. Lovely in China's Growing Role in World Trade. R. Feenstra and S. Wei, Editors, U. of Chicago Press, 2010.
Review of Happiness: A Revolution in Economics. Bruno S. Frey. 2008. Journal of Regional Science, 50(5) 1015-1017.
"Happiness as a tool for valuing public goods" VoxEU.org, September, 2009.
"How Significant is the Pollution Content of Trade?," comments prepared for Climate Change, Trade and Competitiveness: Is a Collision Inevitable? The Brookings Institution, 2009.
"Tax Subsidies for Out-of-Pocket Healthcare Costs" in Using Taxes to Reform Health Insurance, Henry Aaron and Leonard Burman, eds. Brookings Institution, 2008, with Jessica Vistnes and Billy Jack.
"Taxes and the Environment" in The Tax Policy Briefing Book, Urban Institute and Brookings Institution Tax Policy Center, 2008.
"What accounts for the clean-up of US manufacturing: technology or international trade?" VoxEU.org, January 2008.
"Pollution Haven Hypothesis" entry in New Palgrave Dictionary of Economics 2nd edition, 2008.
"Environmental Kuznets Curve" entry in New Palgrave Dictionary of Economics 2nd edition, 2008.
What are the linkages between environmental policies, economic growth and employment?", in Saxe, Henrik and Clemen Rasmussen, eds. Green Roads to Growth. Copenhagen: Environmental Assessment Institute, pp. 28-88. With Clemen Rasmussen, Karsten Stæhr, and Kasper Wrang.
Review of New Tools for Environmental Protection: Education, Information, and Voluntary Measures. Dietz and Stern, eds. Journal of Economic Literature, March 2004.
"State Rainy Day Funds and the State Budget Crisis of 2002-?" with Christian Gonzalez, State Tax Notes, 29(6), August 11, 2003.
"The Ups and Downs of the Environmental Kuznets Curve," in John List and Aart de Zeeuw, eds., Recent Advances in Environmental Economics. Edward Elgar Publishing, 2002.
"Measuring Environmental Compliance Costs and Economic Consequences: A Perspective from the U.S.," with Hank Hilton, in Maskus, Keith E. and John S. Wilson, eds, Quantifying the Impact of Technical Barriers to Trade: Can It Be Done? University of Michigan Press, 2001.
"An Industry-Adjusted Index of State Environmental Compliance Costs," in Metcalf, G. and Carrero, C., eds., Behavioral and Distributional Effects of Environmental Policy. University of Chicago Press, 2001.
"Fiscal Institutions in U.S. States" with Brian Knight, in Institutions, Politics and Fiscal Policy . Kluwer Academic Press, 2000.
"Environmental Tax Competition: The Race to the Top in State Hazardous Waste Disposal Taxes" Proceedings of the 89th Annual Conference on Taxation, National Tax Association, 1997.
"Environmental Regulations and Industry Location: International and Domestic Evidence" in Jagdish Bhagwati and Robert Hudec, eds., Fair Trade and Harmonization: Prerequisite for Free Trade? MIT Press, 1996.
"Efficient Environmental Regulation: Case Studies of Urban Air Pollution in Los Angeles, Mexico City, Cubatao, and Ankara" with Sudhir Shetty, World Bank Policy Research Working Paper Series #WPS942, August 1992.
- Reprinted in Distribution Aspects of Energy and Climate Policy, Mark Cohen, Don Fullerton, and Robert Topel, eds. Edward Elgar.
- "California Energy Efficiency: Lessons for the Rest of the World, or Not?"
- "Measuring Environmental Regulatory Stringency" with Claire Brunel.
- "A Waste of Effort? International Environmental Agreements and Trade" with Derek Kellenberg.
- "Environmental Engel Curves" with James O'Brien.
- "Happiness as a Public Policy Tool" for Research in Behavioral Law and Economics, Joshua Teitelbaum and Kathryn Zeiler, editors.
Medicaid Stigma with Sjamsu Rahardja.
Work in progress
- "A Direct Assessment of the Technique Effect"